
Lee "Scratch" Perrry. Thousands of people, me getting crushed by them. Good times...
A ludicrous amount of people came to the show at Harbourfront last night. I ran into tons of people I know and should have had a hello booth. Things were fine until I got a little antsy and claustrophobic. I wanted to move to the bridge for a better, less cramped view. Mistake #1. The crowd was not really moving, seemed like lots of people were trying to move within the sea of people, but it just wasn't working. At first it was a bit annoying, I kept thinking, it's going to break, the stream will start flowing and it will be fine. Mistake #2. We were crushed like sardines in a can. Sweaty people getting sweatier, nose to back to everyone around me, no air, no movement, you can feel the blood around you start to boil. Panic set in...wild eyed paranoia that we are just never going to get out alive. Then the pushing starts....a wave of force ripples through and everyone moans and complains to the person behind them as if they are responsible, but this pressure, you could tell was coming from way back. I dont blame them...you cant see what the hold up is you just feel totally trapped, can't stay there, can't go anyplace else. Then some drunk, old gross guy is trying to cut through right in front of me, I can smell his nasty boozy breath and see through his broken teeth into his partially rotted mouth. OMG I'm gonna loose my shit I think....i shake and strain...tyring to see what's up ahead, how much farther...
Then, as awful as it sounds, someone passed out, and I thought "thank fucking god". 2 guys carried another, fighting their way through the masses of people...we quickly throw ourselves into the wake hoping this will allow us to piggyback the exit momentum. It worked...finally things were kinda moving. Felt such relief wash over me.
This caused another wave of pushing, which didn't help because up ahead, we stalled again.
FUUUUCK!!!
I'm going to lose my mind.
Then, it moves, it moves and moves, and finally, we escape. I was expecting to see a roadblock or people gawking at a unicorn or some other thing which would have kept us all captive in there for so long, but there was nothing but empty concrete.

No comments:
Post a Comment