Saturday, June 14, 2008

Subtle Technologies "Light" installations - Pixel Gallery

I was commissioned by the Subtle Technologies Festival to shoot this year's installations (Living Light) at Pixel Gallery (156 Augusta Ave Toronto). The theme this year was "Light"
It consisted of 2 installations featuring Bio Luminescence entitled Light Sensitive by Dianne Willow, and Electro Bio Luminescence entitled Pixy by Experientiae Electricae.
The installations are being torn down today at 6pm.

The Bio install had a controller which allowed you to stimulate algae which would light up like green fireflies. The Electro install was a computer driven set of pulsating light strips which displayed images of people running and fish or clouds, I think. Better descriptions of these two installations can be found on the site at subtletechnologies.com.

Since the algae were almost all dead (RIP) I couldn't shoot them, the Pixy installation has to be seen or videotaped in order to get the effect. So, I improvised using a flashlight, hand held strobe and 2 models (including myself and a self timer).











No comments: