Thursday, June 28, 2007

Cross-Town Traffic


I walked the drive, unfettered. Meaning, I didn’t bring my camera. It was uneventful, but I did find some reasonably interesting yet overpriced and under-stocked vintage shops hidden away in tiny, dark corners.

The apartment was empty when I returned, so I read some Martian Chronicles. When Kevin came home, I got it into my head that I wanted a Blizzard. We took a cross-town bus to Main and something to the nearest Dairy Queen. It was all that I had hoped for and more. Smartie/Skor combo, divine.

We scammed the bus several times to get there and decided to go to Granville Island. We stopped into several art galleries along the way and saw an equal amount of boring and really good works. We sat and ate sausages and looked at the watery mountainous view. We walked under bridges covered with hanging moss like green icicles ready to drop. The Emily Carr buildings looks out onto a concrete factory whose motto says something about concrete helping build a sustainable future. I couldn’t quite fathom how that works. Neither of us could fathom the in-house student art gallery on campus either. The work inside was self-referential to the point of such abstraction and was at best, absurdly boring and completely inaccessible. With headaches in tow, we took a break under a tree and napped before cramming onto a bus.

Once back, the late afternoon sun burned its way through the clouds and beamed on us with a vengeance. It was hot, but the heat here is nice and comforting, clean and fresh feeling.

Sandra Bullock half-assedly entertained us for the next 1.5 hours with Premonition. A film based on forseeing the future and being bounced backward and forward in time until she finally figures it all out, but is still unable to change the course of events.

Jeff Lewis - another former Ontarian – met me at the apartment and we went next door to Waazubee’s, where someone out front called out my name and it turned out to be Keith, one of my BFF’s (Valerie) baby-daddy. He recognized me from photos. He talked about being invited to a UN meeting, becoming a healer, numerology and my soul’s purpose. Jeff shared about his new job which he is loving and about how he and Linda are very happy here. I miss those two, such warm, kind and sincere people.

With a quick wrap-up, I met Jeff’s brother James. It was getting a little chilly. And with a lending and a returning of a gentlemanly jacket, we all parted ways. Up to the darkened apartment, I thought no one was home. Kevin scared me, he was sitting in the dark, talking on the phone. He asked for a few minutes of privacy. So, at the other end of the apartment, behind closed door, I started the Simulacra by Philip K Dick.

It’s very interesting the binds we put ourselves into. Something that gives us great strength and faith, can also confine and trap. It is even more interesting how one can be frustrated when a conflict arises as a result, but that one can still accept the outcomes of said frustrating rules and throw up hands in defeat even though its only a matter of changing one’s perspective which could change everything. Far be it though for me as a non-denominational believer-in-something-but-not-of-the-organized-variety to try to empathize. I can only sympathize with the very real struggle and how that makes one feel.

A good sleep behind me, so far I have read and wrote this blog. The weekend could have lots in store, an outdoor DJ party or a BMX competition in Whistler.

No comments: